Skip to Main Content

Advance Directive

You have the right to make decisions about your medical and psychiatric care. You have the right to accept or refuse medical, psychiatric, or surgical treatment. You also have the right to plan and direct the types of care you may receive in the future. This will help if you become unable to express your wishes. You may do this by completing a form. This form is called an “advance directive”. You should talk to your doctor about your wishes.

You should give a copy of the form to your doctor. You should also give a copy to any person who you give permission to make decisions for you. Take a copy with you when you go to the doctor or hospital. You can also make changes to your directive as you see fit.

If you need help you can talk to your doctor, or call our Member Services. We can be reached at 1-800-704-1484 (TTY/TDD 1-800-255-0056). If your directive is not being followed you may file a complaint.