Health Check – EPSDT
Get a Health Check exam for your children. Health Check is a preventive health program for members under the age of 21. The Health Check program covers complete health check ups at no cost to you.
Why Health Checkups are Important
Checkups are important for your children’s health. These checkup visits for children are called Health Check or Well Child Visits. Your children may look and feel well but still have a health problem. Your doctor wants to see your children for regular checkups, not just when they are sick. Children need more health checkups than adults.
Who can get Health Check visits?
- All members under 21 years old who get Medicaid benefits
- All members under 19 years old who get PeachCare for Kids benefits
Babies need to see their primary care physician at least eight times by the time they are 12 months old and more times if they get sick. Our Health Check Coordinator can help children with special needs or illnesses get the checkups, tests and shots they need.
The Health Check program helps:
- Find and treat children’s health problems early.
- Let you know about special services for your child.
- Provide your children with healthcare not otherwise covered.
The Health Check includes checking your child (ren):
- Growth and size
- Ears and eyes
- Get needed shots
- Review shot records
- Health and developmental history
- Health education
- Diet & nutrition review
- Developmental review assessment
- TB Risk review and skin test
- Lead risk assessment
- Cervical Dysplasia screening as recommended by your doctor
- Anticipatory guidance
- Mouth and Teeth Exam
- Review blood test records
- Collecting blood, if needed
- Baby, Child, and teen behavioral skills
Your child should also receive a blood lead test at age 12 months and at age 24 months. At age six months, children receive an oral health assessment. We can help you choose your dentist and schedule visits.
At a Health Checkup, your child’s doctor will:
- Check to make sure your child(ren) is growing well
- Help you care for your child(ren)
- Talk to you about the best food to give your child(ren)
- Give you tips on how to help your child(ren) sleep
- Answer questions you have about your child(ren)
- See if your child(ren) has any problems that may need more health care
- Give your child(ren) shots that will help protect him or her from illnesses/diseases
When to get a Health Check Exam:
The first Health Check visit will happen in the hospital right after the baby is born. Ask your child’s doctor when your child should have their next Health Check visit. Call a Health Check Coordinator at 1-800-704-1484 for more information. Your Peach State Health Check Coordinator will help you learn about exams, screening and shots. Your Health Check Coordinator can talk to you about follow up visits that may happen between visits and are medically needed.
Health Check exams can help tell if your child(ren) may have a physical or mental illness. Health Check visits are recommended at the following ages:
- 3-5 days
- 1 month
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
- 15 months
- 18 months
- 24 months
- 30 months
- 3 years
- 4 years
- Beginning at age 5 years, every year until age 21